Thursday, April 10, 2008

Rainbow world

A woman has posted on one of my gay family mailing lists, saying she's had her own kids and she is interested in becoming a surrogate for a gay male couple.

I haven't got time to do as long an entry as I'd like to about this, but I think it's amazing. Having been pregnant, there is no way I could go through all that again, only to give the baby to someone else at the end.

I always thought Donor Dan was incredibly generous, with his long term willingness to come up with the goods month after month on demand (it was about eighteen months, after our first twelve months with the frozen stuff at the clinic).

Most people, I find, are generally supportive of the idea of rainbow families. But some people really go out of their way to help create them. That's pretty remarkable. I don't know whether I could expend that much effort for someone I didn't even know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i saw that email too and was struck by it. i have considered becoming an egg donor now that we have been able to achieve our family through the generosity of gamete donation and i feel like i have given a lot of detailed thought to the many consequences of this avenue of conception. but surrogacy is a whole other matter that i just couldn't do. have you read jill singer's book on the topic?

E. from Pot o' Gold said...

A woman I work with was a surrogate mother, and she would always talk to me during my pregnancy, and tell me how great I looked, and comment on how wonderful it is to be pregnant. I find her amazing also.

Stegetronium said...

hat is Jill Singer's book?

Anonymous said...

Now that I've been up to stay with you, I understand why you don't blog as often as your regular readres would like...
Don't forget to buy another clothes basket!
Katya

Anonymous said...

jill singer's book is called immaculate conceptions: http://www.theage.com.au/news/reviews/immaculate-conceptions/2005/06/30/1119724752157.html